Suggestions for talking with someone who is thinking of suicide
- Explicitly acknowledge that suicide is the issue. Be direct, talk openly and matter-of-factly.
- Listen. Listen without judgment or advice giving. Don't lecture on the value of life or minimize the problems.
- Don't be sworn to secrecy.
- Offer hope that alternatives are available but do not offer glib reassurance.
- Take action. Remove means, if possible without endangering yourself.
- Get help from persons or agencies specializing in crisis intervention and suicide prevention.
- Call 911 if an attempt is in progress.
Suggestions adapted from Suicide Prevention Lifeline.